City ordinances (Chapter 62 Sec. 62-1) require property owners in the downtown business area to remove ice and snow from the public sidewalks abutting their properties. The goal is to have all the business owners cooperatively work to make the business area a safe and inviting environment for all of our residents, visitors and customers.
The City owns a number of properties within the business area and the Public Works Department is charged with the responsibility of clearing snow / ice from those areas. The Department typically assists other property owners by running its sidewalk plow wherever it safely fits in the area. However, this does not relieve the other property owners of their responsibility to clear snow / ice. In cases where a property owner does not address this responsibility, fines and fees for clearing the sidewalk may be imposed by the City.
Also, the City offers free sand and salt mixture at the Recycling / Transfer Station at 371 Hill Street during the winter months. There is a limit of two 5-gallon buckets per day.
The business area is comprised of the following streets:
- Adams Street (Main to Jefferson)
- Alfred Street (Main to Mount Vernon)
- Elm Street (Saco River to Center St.)
- Federal Street
- Franklin Street
- Jefferson Street
- Lincoln Street (Even/odd numbered side)
- Main Street (Saco River to Elm St.)
- Pool Street (Alfred to Foss)
- South Street (Adams to Jefferson)
- Washington Street (Main to Jefferson)
- Washington Street (Even/odd numbered side)
- Water Street (Hill to Sullivan)