The City of Biddeford’s Public Works Department has an amazing opportunity for an experienced Operations Manager seeking an opportunity to be an innovative leader within our organization. We have experienced an economic revival centered around a nationally-recognized creative community in our downtown. Once expected to dwindle in population, a growing Biddeford is now the youngest community in Maine and is continuing to transform as new residents and entrepreneurs are attracted to the community.
The Public Works Department seeks a seasoned professional to assist in the day to day operations of the Department, reporting directly to the Director of Public Works. The Operations Manager is responsible for the administration of overall operations and functions of the department, as designated by the Director. This includes:
- Schedule and track work activities of department for purposes of budgeting, ordering of materials, preparation of specifications and bidding of contracted services, as designated by the Director
- Responsible for efficiency and quality of department activities, as designated by the Director; Supervises employees either directly or through subordinates
- Operations manager works with supervisors in determining means, methods, and processes of department activities;
- Oversee all winter operations with the Director and designee
- Assist in enforcement of Chapters 26 and 58 of the Code of Ordinances
- Assist in preparation of the budget and expenditure of funds;
- Issuance of Street Opening permits and collection of appropriate fees;
- Perform inspections of work associated with Street Opening permits, new road construction and private ways, as designated by the Director
- Determines work procedures, helps prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow
- Assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures
- Responds to public or other inquiries relative to department policies and procedures; Evaluates issues and options regarding municipal public works and makes recommendations
Desired Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED and
- Minimum of five (5) years previous public works experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of public works and construction principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting; Thorough knowledge of applicable City policies, laws, and regulations affecting Department activities;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public; Ability to conduct necessary research and compile comprehensive reports.
- Skill in operating the tools and equipment.
Must possess a valid CDL license or have the ability to obtain one within 6 months.
Please complete our online application form to apply.