Wright-Pierce will be conducting a smoke test of portions of the City's sanitary sewer system. This survey will assist our inspection crews in locating breaks and defects in the sewer system.
The smoke you may see coming from building vent stacks, building roof leaders, the ground, or manholes is NON-TOXIC, NON-STAINING, HAS NO ODOR, IS WHITE TO GRAY IN COLOR, AND CREATES NO FIRE HAZARD. Please do not be alarmed if you see this smoke in places shown in the graphic below.
Homeowners will receive notices in the form of door hangers prior to testing in their area. If the area near your home is set to be tested, please take note of the following:
- The smoke should not enter your home unless you have defective plumbing or dried up plumbing traps.
- It is advisable for the homeowner to pour a gallon of water into floor drains/other plumbing fixtures after notice is received of nearby testing.
- If smoke enters your home or business, this is an indicator that sewer gases may also be entering your home or business. You should notify work crews if this occurs. If you are not home and discover smoke when you return, please call the contact below.
- If there is any individual in your home or business who has respiratory problems and is immobile, please call the contact below prior to testing.
- Please be advised that weather, weekends, and holidays may extend the announced testing schedule.
CONTACT: Steve Guerrette or Alex Liptak @ 207-725-8721