CITY OF BIDDEFORD
Planning and Development Department Notice of Public Hearing
UPDATED TO ADD PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE ON JUNE 22, 2022
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
CDBG Year 5 Action Plan
Thursday, July 7, 5:00 PM
City Hall - Second Floor Conference Room and Zoom
30-Day Public Comment Period
Friday, June 17 to Sunday, July 17, 2022
Please be advised that a Public Comment Period is open from Friday, June 17 to Sunday, July 17, for the purpose of obtaining citizen comment regarding the CDBG Year 5 Action Plan.
This Public Comment Period is pursuant to Biddeford’s participation in the program noted above. The Public Hearing is now scheduled for Thursday, July 7 at 5:00 PM. The 15-day notice period for this meeting begins on June 23, 2022.
CDBG Year 5 Action Plan Overview
The Action Plan describes past performance of the CDBG programs and projects, the current status of efforts around things like affordable housing, homelessness, and supportive services. It also describes the plan for the year, which will run from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023.
The following programs are being proposed:
- Continuation of the 2- to 4-unit owner-occupied/nonprofit owned residential rehab program
- There was an expansion during the 2021-2022 program year to allow nonprofits to apply both within the designated Census tracts and citywide, and to allow applications from eligible owner-occupied properties outside the designated Census tracts. These will continue into the Year 5 program.
- ADA Accessibility Improvements identified through the Biddeford ADA Self-Evaluation and Transition Plan that occurred during the 2021-2022 program year. Potential areas for ADA improvements are as follows: City Hall interior, City Hall exterior, other facilities, parks, sidewalks, intersections, curb ramps, bus stops
- Public Service activities
- Seeds of Hope – Winter Warming Center for those experiencing homelessness
- Southern Maine Agency on Aging – Meals on Wheels
- Apex Youth Connection has been funded in the past, but exact program details are being determined
- The Citizens Advisory Committee will determine what to do with any remaining funds (e.g. request for applications from other social service agencies, divert remaining funds to the existing public services, etc)
The entire Year 5 Action Plan can be viewed on the Community Development page or by clicking here.
Provide input in writing by email to Abigail Smallwood (email@example.com), Community Development Coordinator or mail to Biddeford Planning and Development, c/o Abigail Smallwood, PO Box 586, Biddeford, Maine 04005. Physical mail must be received by the final day of the comment period to be considered. Questions may also be answered through the same contact. You may also provide verbal comments at the Public Hearing or by calling Abigail Smallwood at 207-284-9115.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals who need assistance participating in the Public Hearing should contact Abigail Smallwood at 207-284-9105. Those needing assistance due to language barriers may use the same contact or fill out this translation assistance form on the city website.