The City of Biddeford has worked to redesign the Green and Yellow parking lots in the Franklin Street area to make them easier to navigate and to create more free hourly parking availability for visitors. The final step in the project is to pave the lot, and all work is scheduled to be complete by Wednesday, August 14 (weather permitting).
Staff worked to minimize the impacts on parking permit holders and on the surrounding businesses during this project, but parking will be limited in this area for brief periods over the next week. Below is a timeline of the project:
Friday, August 9
- No parking along Franklin Street from 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. (grinding of pavement)
- No parking in the Green Lot from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. (grinding of pavement)
- All normal parking areas will be accessible from 3:00 p.m. on Friday until 7:00 a.m. on Monday.
Monday, August 12
- No parking in the Green Lot beginning at 7:00 a.m. on Monday until 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, August 13 (the lot will be paved and striped during this time). Green Lot permit holders may park in any permitted lot at no additional cost during this process, including the Yellow Lot.
Tuesday, August 13
- The Yellow Lot will be closed beginning at 7:00 a.m. until the morning of Wednesday, August 14. At this time, paving of Franklin Street will take place between Main Street and George’s Italian, as well as the one-way road that connects Washington Street to Franklin Street (near Palace Diner). Parking will be available in the Green Lot and in the parking spaces between George’s Italian and Jefferson Street.
Wednesday, August 14
- Paving is expected to be complete on Wednesday morning and all normal parking areas will be accessible.
FAQ: Was Federal Street “discontinued” at this week’s City Council meeting to reduce the amount of free on-street parking available in the downtown?
No – Federal Street did not have any on-street parking available. In fact, “discontinuing” this street actually allowed us to create nine new parking spaces as part of this project. In order to make the Green and Yellow Lot area easier to navigate, some entrances to the lot, including the entrance via Federal Street, were closed. By limiting the amount of streets that lead to the lot, we will be able to post clearer directional signage pointing visitors to hourly parking areas.
For more information about the project, please contact Public Works Director Jeff Demers at 207-282-1579.