Does the FOAA request have to be in writing?

There is no central records office that services Freedom of Access Act (FOAA) requests within the City of Biddeford. There are no forms required nor does the request have to be in writing; however, the City strongly urges that all FOAA requests be in writing (email, fax, letter, etc.) in order to maintain a record of when the request was received, what records were requested, an understanding of the search period, and who requested the document(s). 

Regardless of the format of the request, there must be sufficient information provided to direct staff in the search for records and to ensure that contact can be made with the requester. To assist citizens, a Request for Public Information form (PDF) has been created for convenience.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Maine Freedom of Access Act?
2. What is a public record?
3. What is a FOAA request?
4. Does the FOAA request have to be in writing?
5. What should my FOAA request say or include?
6. Who should I send my FOAA request to within the City?
7. Does the City have to acknowledge receipt of my request?
8. Is the City authorized to ask me for clarification concerning my request?
9. Does the City have to estimate how long it will take to respond to my request?
10. In what form can I expect the records to be in response to my FOAA request?
11. Can I be charged for the FOAA Request?
12. Is the City subject to penalties for failure to comply with the Freedom of Access Act?