What information will I need when I apply?

Your General Assistance budget will be based on the 30-day period following your application. We will also look back to 30 days before you applied, to see what money you received, and how you spent it. You will need to provide:

  • Identification for all adults and Social Security cards of all household members
  • Passport/Visa and Immigration paperwork (I-589, etc.)
  • DHHS benefit letter
  • Income and expenses
  • Receipts for the past 30 days (repeat applicants)
  • Current bank statements
  • Landlord verification

Show All Answers

1. What is General Assistance?
2. Where does the money come from?
3. Do I have to be a Biddeford resident?
4. How can I apply?
5. What if I have an emergency and City Hall is closed?
6. How long does it take to apply?
7. What information will I need when I apply?
8. Is the information I give on my application kept confidential?
9. If I receive Food Stamps, TANF, Social Security, Veterans Benefits, Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation am I still able to receive General Assistance?
10. When will I get help?
11. How much assistance can I get?
12. Will General Assistance pay security deposits?
13. If I am eligible will I get cash or a check?
14. How long can I continue to get help?
15. What would cause me to be ineligible or disqualified from the General Assistance Program?